Mother Nature- Take 2

Mother Nature- Take 2

I wished for many years that I could share something of my childhood with my son.  That something was a berry bush behind my parents' house.  My parents' house backs to a protected wooded area.  Alas, all these years, since I was 5 or 8, the berry bush seemed to be quite dead.

That's right, seemed, because Today, when I went back in those woods again, with my mother and son, we discovered the bush had come alive again. I suppose it's because the drought is over, at least in Novato, CA.

Amazing with all the stories of wildfires in CO and stories of flooding in some of the other flat lands of the US, that there in the cozy town where I grew up, the berry bush that gave us hours of good clean fun, when I was a kid of 5 or 8, is thriving again.

That bush taught me one of my most important life lessons when I was young: Take the sweet with the sour. The berries of course were "the sweet". They were worth every bit of the "sour"- the scratches and pricks of the thorns.

Now that I'm grown, I've learned that if you move slowly and patiently around the bush, and reach carefully until your fingers are just under a berry, so that you can push it off it's stem with your thumb, you can avoid the thorns, altogether.

Many people have tried to school me to patience. Some things we just have to learn on our own, in the school of hard knocks or at the mercy of a berry bush.

Mom used to make jam out of the berries, when we could manage to save enough of them, rather than eating every one that we picked.

Another life lesson:  Saving verses spending.

Mom's black berry jam was so delicious that it was rather hard to remember life lessons about moderation when we'd smelled it cooking on the stove for an hour or so. And if she had let me, I probably would have learned that lesson the hard way too.............With a belly ache.

A belly ache would have been Nature having her way again, as she has with that berry bush. Apparently, Nature wants that bush to survive, and even thrive. Whether that bush has survived to fulfill my wish or not, it has survived, and I'm grateful that the bush has made a come-back and that my Mom prevented me from eating up all her jam at one sitting, each time she made it.

I'm grateful for everything that came between jam when I was 5 and sharing the few berries that were just starting to show on the bush, Today, when I joined my son and mother on a hike.

I'm grateful for everything that happened before I was five, even if I can't remember what that is. I do remember a red tricycle that I rode on the patio in the yard, and sitting on Grandad's lap eating a banana, and learning to knit from my Grandma, and learning to bake bread and cookies from my parents.

I don't remember living in Corte Madera, although I'm told that we did, until I was one. I've never had reason to disbelieve it.

I don't remember being born in Mount Zion Hospital in San Francisco, but I suppose that that happened too, because it's on my birth certificate.

And I'm grateful that I can occassionally bring a grin to someone's face with my "mental meanderings". I hope that I've done so for you, and that I've reminded you of the miracle of nature, and that wishes sometimes do come true, even outside of Disney Land, and the Make A Wish Foundation.

In fact, a friend of mine has a daughter who regularly donates her hair to Locks For Love, making some other person's wish come true, I'm sure.

What if we all took a moment each day to remember how it feels when one of our wishes comes true, and then payed it forward with a slightly bigger tip for someone's services, or holding a door for someone, or smiling at them when they seem a bit frazzled?

You never know when something that simple is going to be the one thing that gets someone through a really tough day.

I do. It's worked for me, hundreds of times, and for that, my gratitude goes out to every one reading this, every resident of Petaluma, my husband and son, my Mom, Dad, and my ancestors, and my advisor at Stephens College in MO, and my mentors here at home: Nubby Shober, L.Ac., Wendy Lyon, Ph.D., my big brothers, three women named Helen, and a dog name Shadow.

Yours in Service,

Sue Hirsch, Owner of Perfect Day Massage.


 
sidebar

Blogroll