The Show Goes On

The Show Goes On

The show goes on, because it must go on. 
No matter how we might like to simply stop making a decent showing for ourselves, circumstances will never allow it.  Never allow us to just sporadically pull the plug, nor pull the covers back up over our heads, when the alarm goes off in the morning, and shirk our responsibilities indefinitely.  I've had a few days, recently when I wished desperately that the world would simply go on with out me, and even forget that I existed.

Those were bad days for me.  A very few things kept me going through those times, but none more so than the fact that there are people who depend on me to keep being the person that I've always been:  A son who needs me to wake up and get him to the bus, and to make him do his homework when he gets home; a husband who needed me to be his life partner, and other friends and family members who need me to keep on getting up and being me, every day.

As I went through each of those days, fighting harder than usual, because life required it, I came to realize that the truth is that we all go through a lot of these days in our lives, and that each of those days, is really just a moment in time.  Any challenge can be over-come purely by dint of the fact that most challenges are transient, as all life is transient, hence such optimistic cliches as:  Tomorrow is another day; Sleep on it,......; There's always a silver lining.

Giving advice is good for making the advisor feel helpful.  Advice is cheap and easy to give and rarely as valuable to the person going through the difficult time as it is to the person giving it.

Since the birth of my son, I've discovered a wonderfully soothing and bracing item hidden away in the cabinet under the stove for such occassions.  As you may have guessed, it's a traditional tonic called booze!

I can only recommend it to those who have first asked their doctor as to the efficaciousness of such a strong remedy.  To those of you who have, I can only beg that if asked who recommended it, you don't mention my name.

Of course, if drinking is a sin, in your eyes, then I'll respect that and agree with you and tell you that I never touch the stuff, myself.  I will then keep my kitchen nipping relegated to my own kitchen, and know in my own heart that it has it's place, and in moderation, it can loosen the muscles, and warm the soul, when soul warming is needful. 

In truth, no solutions are found in a bottle, but a dose of soul warming in a shot glass once or twice a month relaxes me just enough that real solutions become easier to see.

I'm not perfect.  I don't do a lot of the things that I probably should, and I do a lot of things that I probably shouldn't.  I'm no Yoga fanatic.  I eat too much, talk too much, and snore rather loudly at night.  I am a bit pushy, and my son says I'm too strict. 

On the up side, I don't smoke or do drugs.  I don't beat my son or our dog, and I've never looked at another man the way I look at my husband since we were married over 10 years ago.

I think if I feel the need for a shot of chocolate liquer only once or twice a month, I'm doing alright.

After all, running a home and a business are a couple of challenging jobs.  We parents have school issues to deal with, business issues, spousal issues, keeping bread on the table and roof over head issues, dog or cat pee on the rug issues, and issues that will come with having to wake up and do it all again, Tomorrow.

Be kind to yourselves, Dear Readers.  Do what you need to do to keep it together and not self destruct.  Be kind to your life partners, friends, and family members and give them some real help when they need it, rather than words of wisdom that Polyanna or even your grandparents would be proud of.  Give them a piece of chocolate, or a favorite tid-bit.  They will know that you care, and that will help them to get through one more day more than any words you can say. 

Yours' in Service


  Sue Hirsch, CMT of Perfect Day Massage
  WWW.Perfectdaymassage.com

 
sidebar

Blogroll