Being Teachers

Parent and Teacher


What if there were no educational system?

There would be no public schools, no PTA meetings, no teachers, no school board, and a no regular respite from parenting duty.

We would all have to home school our own children, all year.

Would that give us more of an appreciation for our childrens' teachers? Would it detract in any way from our admiration of sports heros and civil servants like fire men and police men?

I have enormous respect for teachers and for those who protect my life and the lives of those around me. Of course it's the teachers who march into school every morning, ready to teach my son to do work that may not always appeal to him. It's the teachers who keep the kids focused on work until it's time to walk them to the buses that will take them home.

I've learned through hard experience that I'd make a lousy school teacher. I can teach my son to cut his food, brush his teeth, and read a book. I can teach him to be polite, street savvy and decent.

What I can't do is spend all day by his side, while he goes over and over math problems and writing projects until they're just as correct and neat as he can make them. I don't have that kind of time or patience.

Fortunately, public schooling is still free, in the U.S. and that means that we can afford to send him to school, while we struggle to make ends meet, like everyone else.

Not only do I respect our son's teachers and school staff, I am enormously relieved to know that they're there for us, because they have been much more than just teachers to my son.

Suffice it to say that the school staff at Old Adobe Elementary have gone, on multiple occassions, above and beyond the call of duty on our behalf.

I won't try to pretend that I have the patience and the skills that it would take to be a teacher at my son's school, no matter how I may have aspired to it, early in my college career. I will satisfy myself with bed-time reading, teeth brushing, snuggles, and careful explanations about the brilliant and sometimes akward questions that he asks, and I will continue to thank my lucky stars that Petaluma, CA. has some of the best schools in all of the United States.

I will also take this opportunity to let my readers know that Perfect Day Massage has moved again. We are now at 1295 Petaluma Blvd. N. Ste. 5, in Petaluma. We're now in a very cute place that used to be a home, and has been turned into little offices. Perfect Day is at the back of the little house, so that we get no traffic noise. Please enjoy your first massage there, at $39/hr. That is half our usual price.

Yours' in Service.

Sue Hirsch, Owner of Perfect Day Massage.
707-762-3578
www.Perfectdaymassage.com

 
sidebar

Blogroll