Fwd: Body Mind Connection blog

Body Mind Vacation


On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Sue Hirsch <suehirsch01@gmail.com> wrote:
"But what we had finally given both factions was absolute, one hundred percent quantifiable results, showing that the immune system and the central nervous system are indeed connected."

The Rochester Review, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, USA

Recent research conducted at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor provides concrete evidence of the mind-body connection through study of the placebo effect............"This deals another serious blow to the idea that the placebo effect is purely psychological," said Jon-Kar Zubieta, MD, PhD, associate professor of psychiatry and radiology at the University of Michigan and research scientist at the university's Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, speaking to the Scripps Howard News Service.

The Journal of Neuroscience (2005; 25 (34), 7754–62).

Cutting edge neuroscience is now confirming Dr. Bohm's conjectures. In other words, the continued replication of negative or self-critical thinking literally changes one's brain chemistry. Having done so, the altered chemistry then loops back in and serves to continue the negative thinkingthrough a depressed emotional state. The habitual thought actually creates a groove in our thinking and in our being. Although anti-depressants may well alter the brain's chemistry, the cognitive and emotional aspects of the struggle are ignored, leaving the individual with hopefully an improved symptomology, but far from healed. From this vantage point we might see that the mental (thought) and the physical (brain chemistry) are more than connected; they are once again differing aspects of the larger whole.

Beyond the mind-body connection
Published on January 23, 2010 by Mel Schwartz, L.C.S.W. in A Shift of Mind

The mind is a wondrous thing. 

There are more things in heaven and 
earth, Horatio Than are dreamt of in
your philosophy.
Hamlet Act 1, scene 5, 159–167

Aside from all the proofs with which I began this blog post, I've heard it said that the brain is a computer.  How does that jive with the last exerpt, from "Beyond the Body Mind Connection"?  If MD Bohm's entire thesis (for which you'll have to do some further reading) is to be believed, then we would have to call the entire body, including the brain a computer.  This isn't too far fetched, to my way of thinking, as scientists have proven the existence of "cell memory", to the delight of personal trainers, and sport coaches everywhere.  

If you read the excerpts and think carefully, you'll come to the very plausible conclusion that everything we think, effects everything we feel and vice-versa.  

If you hold a green tennis ball in your hand and look at it, you think to yourself:  It's a green tennis ball.  If, on the other hand, someone had handed you an orange tennis ball, instead of a green one, you wouldn't start out thinking about a green tennis ball, although you might be a bit surprised at the unusual color of the tennis ball. .........unless you happen to also own a dog. 

Continuing that thought for a moment.  What feelings does that tennis ball evoke?  To me, Tennis balls make me feel like it's Summer, because when-ever my husband turns on the World Cup, the players are sweating profusely, and there are umbrellas over their benches to shade them when they sit down for a time-out. 

Now, I spend most of Winter just wishing that Summer would roll back around faster.  Since that's not going to happen, what if I could take myself to that point in time, anytime I wanted?  According to all the evidence that I've quoted, I can do just that. 

I can hold onto a tennis ball, or simply imagine it in my hand, and let that take my mind to Summer, and all the good things that tend to happen for me, in the Summer months.  

In Summer, my family visits together at a house on King's Beach in Tahoe City.  My son goes to camp for a week or two, leaving my husband and me to our own devices, in a quiet house.  We get to go on little vacations and day jaunts. 

In the space of a minute or two, I can be in Paris, Japan, or Hawaii in the same way that I was just in Tahoe with my family.  I've never been to Japan, but I can be there in my mind, and since my mind and body are allegedly, one thing, my mind and body get a rest from what-ever they were just doing, and they actually believe that I was just on that journey that I pictured in my mind.  (Further evidence suggests that there is no barrier in the mind dividing the real from the unreal). 

There are other benefits to mental vacations that don't come with real vacations.  Mental vacations don't inflict jet lag and huge expense.  Mental vacations don't put you at risk of sun-burn, injury, freak storms, the boredom of waiting in a security line or terrorists attacking your tour bus.

I can't recommend eschewing real vacations, all together.  All I'm saying is that we tend to under-estimate the health benefits of mental vacations and meditation.  

  So when you close your eyes at your desk, and take a 3 or 5 minute break to picture yourself in your favorite place or situation, and your boss catches you at it, you can tell him/her that your 3-5 minute vacation is saving him/her the money that he/she would have had to pay out for your "paid" vacation, and circumventing your "sick days" there-by making you a more productive and valuable employee.  What's more, when you say all this, you'll be telling nothing but the absolute truth. 


 
sidebar

Blogroll